Guest activities on Lake Como
Guest activities on Lake Como
Now that you have decided to get married in Lake Como and have organized the initial details, you have to look for activities for you and your guests!
Here’ s list of my tips!
Guest activities, Scenic villages you have to visit:
1) Most important of all is, Como city with its historic center, the spectacular Duomo cathedral of 15th century, the piazza full of cafès, “gelaterie”, and shops. I would recommend a lovely walk along the lake finishing atl Villa Olmo and its beautiful park. From Como city you can get the funicular ( cable car) to Brunate, a little hamlet offering a beautiful lake view.
2) Varenna, in front of Bellagio, is a medieval place with its little piazza and St. George’s Church. Here you can have some activities with your guests like visiting Villa Monastero and its botanical gardens and its museum, Vezio Castle, Villa Cipressi and its botanical garden, and the Patriarch greenway path. There are exquisite gourmet restaurants and “osterias” offering typical cuisine.
3) Bellagio, named “The Pearl” of Lake Como, is the most popular village to see. Here you will find restaurants, boutiques, wine bars, beautiful hotels like Villa Serbelloni (but also B&B’s and other accommodations) . You and your guests can enjoy sports and activities like windsurfing, kayaking, water skiing, rowing, trekking and biking. Here you can visit Santuario della Madonna del Ghisallo with its museum dedicated to cyclists.
4) Isola Comacina is a little island which is among the most interesting archaeological sites in northern Italy from the early Middle ages with Roman marble columns, remains of Romanesque churches and twin apse room with wall frescoes and mosaic fragments. You can have a guided tour of the island and the Antiquarium with the fee of an entrance ticket. It’s possible to board the private taxi-boat (it takes 5 minutes) for Comacina Island near the medieval complex of St. Mary Magdalene in Ossuccio. It’s open to visit from the end of March to the end of October.
Famous Italian Villas to visit:
5) Villa Balbianello, built in 1787, is the most famous wedding venue villa in Lake Como! As the actual setting of famous films like “Casino Royale” and “Stars Wars”, it’s an enchanting venue that features a wonderful garden with beautiful flowers and vegetation. It’ s always open except on Mondays and Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. You’ll have to pay an entry fee; a guided tour is extra. It can be reached either by boat or by a short hike ( about 20 minutes).
6) Villa Carlotta, in Tremezzo, surrounded by an incredible botanical garden of 70,000 square meters, is a magnificent Italian villa. Outside you will find giant sequoia and Cyprus trees, rhododendrons and azaleas, a Japanese garden, the Rock garden and the Ferns valley, tropical plants and statues, and fountains . Inside, is a museum enriched with art masterpieces (the famous Canova’s “Amore e Psyche” statue, Hayez’s painting “Romeo and Juliet”) and it frequently hosts art exhibitions. Villa Carlotta is open every day from mid-March to late October from 9 a.m. to 7.30 p.m. , and 6.30 p.m. in October . It is easily reached by foot from the ferry landing dock at Tremezzo, where you must pay an entry fee and where you can also have a guided tour.
Activities and fun with your guests:
7) Lido Bellagio is a disco on the beach, which offers a true party atmosphere by having some of the best music around with its resident DJ, and also by staying open late until the early morning hours! You can have also a boat party on the water!
8 ) You can also take a 2-hour Lake Cruise to admire the lakeside villas. You can also take advantage of the dinner cruises around the lake that are offered during the evenings.
9) Take private cooking lessons with an Italian chef :Food is not only for nutrition; it is about culture, history, and passion. You’ll enjoy learning to cook with local ingredients and creating dishes such as tagliatelle, gnocchi, and traditional desserts, while tasting sumptuous wine.
10) Lake Como motorbike tour: what about a guided tour personalized to your needs around Lake Como and into the Alps?
I would be happy to help you plan the perfect activities for you and your guests, so feel free to contact me and we can go from there!
Photo Courtesy of Lido Bellagio.
Some photos in this article are from the web and are used only for an illustrative purpose. If it violates any copyrights please write an email and they will be removed.